|Photo by WW|
Unless you are an adventurous nose to tail enthusiast, this recipe may appeal more to those of us with an Asian upbringing. I am so pleased with this recipe as it's a game changer for my Chicken Feet loving family, especially the children. When I first saw the chicken feet bone broth recipe in the Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook, I was excited about enjoying one of my favourite and dearly missed Dim Sum dishes, braised Chicken Feet, aka Phoenix Claws, after the broth is done. Little did I know the power of the Instant Pot will turn the bones into a crumbly mess after merely 2 hrs of cooking.
So that started my search for a recipe online but to my surprise, all I found was how to make bone broth with the fowl claws. Luckily, I didn't have to look far to come up with my own recipe. In the cookbook that came with the Instant Pot, there was a recipe for Cranberry Braised Turkey Wings, I made it for the family and enjoyed it but it just wasn't the same as my beloved chicken feet. Before having the Instant Pot, making chicken feet the conventional stove top way took 2-3 hours. Now I can whip it up in under 30 mins including depressurizing time.
Makes 4 servings Prep time 5 mins Cook time 10 mins
- 1 lb Chicken Feet ( best quality you can source, talk to your trusted butcher, you might be surprised)
- 1 c bone broth
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp galangal powder
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 c cranberries
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or high heat cooking oil of your choice
- Rinse chicken feet under hot water and drain well
- Follow Step 3 to sautee the chicken feet in the Instant Pot or go to step 6 if you chose to sautée over stove top in a wider more shallow pot. Either way, make sure you heat the pot well enough with a high smoke point oil like avocado or coconut oil to prevent the chicken skin from sticking to the pot.
- Turn Instant Pot on the select Sautée
- Add oil in Instant Pot to heat up
- When Instant Pot displays Hot, sautée chopped garlic and chicken feet in batches for 5-7 mins
- Add in salt, galangal powder, fish sauce and coat well
- Add bone broth and cranberries
- Close lid, make sure vent is at Sealing and hit Keep warm/ Cancel
- Select Manual and set timer to 10 mins
- When cook time is up, let Instant Pot cool naturally ( 15 mins )
- Serve paired with fermented vegetable as a snack